Monday, January 30, 2012

Greedy Fat Cats

I've been a long-time reader of Penny Arcade and even been an Enforcer at PAX for the first six years of its existence.  I have a ton of respect for the folks behind Penny Arcade including Mike Krahulik, Jerry Holkins and Robert Khoo among others.  Today, Mike tweeted, "... Gamestop is a greedy fat cat that didn't do shit."  I have very specifically taken this quote out of context because I find the comment itself interesting as an indication just how much the Internet has changed things in our world.

When I was younger, the supply chain behind bringing a good (as opposed to a service) to market was pretty much assumed to be: manufacturer, distributor/wholesaler, retailer and customer.  Each step in the chain provided some benefit to the customer.  The manufacturer created the good.  The distributor or wholesaler was good at getting a certain class of goods from various manufacturers to tons of locations around the country or the world.  The retailer provided a clean, stable, safe and (sometimes) knowledgeable environment from which you could inspect, sample and purchase the good.  I would not have known about a great many computer games in my youth had my local Egghead Software not stocked them.

The role of the retailer has certainly changed significantly in the last few decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment